Thursday, October 15, 2015

More books with staying power

“All of us are readers.  Some are just still searching for their favorite books.”

That quote from grammarly.com may say it all. I heard from two readers when I first shared my list of ten books that have staying power for me.  One said she was inspired to start some kind of book club, perhaps not the typical one where you discuss one book per get-together, but instead a gathering where you share favorites or some variation on that.  She and I may have to plan a cocktail meeting to iron out the details.

Another reader shared her list of books and her thoughts on them.  Though none are on my original list, half are books I’ve enjoyed. We emailed back and forth and came up with more titles.  Discussing books is one of my favor pastimes, almost as enjoyable as reading them in the first place.

Reading her list brings to mind my usual lament—so many books, so little time.

Dune – Frank Herbert
Published 50 years ago, Dune is still fresh and new. Everything about this book astounded me the first time I read it.
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
My mother will tell you I thought I was Jane Eyre (and she was right). I know Mr. Rochester had a significant impact on the type of guys I was attracted to—dark, brooding, strong. I know because I married Mr. Rochester. (Mr. Darcy helped, too.)
I know it’s technically 3 books, but anyone who has read them would say they were one book. I read them when I was 16. I still remember lying on the floor of my room for hours reading and listening to the Allman Brothers album “Brothers and Sisters.”
Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
One of the best prescient Sci-Fi books I’ve ever read along with being a darn good story.
The Prince of Tides – Pat Conroy
This is when I realized my mother wasn’t crazy….just very southern. Reading this book is where I learned to embrace being from the South.
John Adams – David McCullough
I loved this book and cried at the end. After reading it, I felt privileged to have spent time with Mr. Adams and had a greater appreciation of the odds against there ever being a United States.
David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
I read this book when I was in 6th or 7th grade. I didn’t read it for school. I picked it up on my own. It was the turning point for me from popular fiction to literature.
Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
I so wanted to be witty and smart like Elizabeth. Plus, Mr. Darcy!
The Fountainhead – Ayn Rand
I read this about 5 years ago. I resisted it in college. Astounding book on many levels. It set me off on a journey of learning all I could about Rand and her philosophies. I immediately read Atlas Shrugged.  Atlas Shrugged is probably the better book, but I read The Fountainhead first. It has that place in my heart. (BTW I named my puppy Roark.)
The Borrowers – Mary Norton
Half Magic – Edward Eager
I’m counting these kids books as one. I vividly remember reading these and all the sequels. It was when I knew I was a “Reader”. It was when I remember wanting to be transported to another world through reading a book.

Which of these books brings back fond memories for you or inspires you to head to the library? What other titles are leaping to mind?  This discussion could be never ending.


Reminder: If you’d like to respond, please do so with a comment. Emails go into a black hole somewhere and don’t come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lord Banjo, Puddin', and I take turns writing these blogs, and we'd love to hear from you. Please leave a comment.