Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Bountiful Beauty Bag


I’ve been enjoying myself immensely since my girlfriends took me out for a birthday lunch last weekend. Their gift to me was a Beauty Bag, as they called it. I’ve always been the one in the group most interested in skincare and makeup, so a Beauty Bag was the perfect gift. They know me all too well.

Years ago, I read about Paula Begoun’s book Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter without Me and became a huge fan of the book, her Paula’s Choice website and her products. Paula believes you can find good products at the drugstore and don’t need to spend lots of money to look good.  Her website has a section called Beautypedia where she rates products, and it’s my go to when I’m looking for makeup or skincare products.  My friends have been the recipients of her products and books ever since I found her, so it was fitting that Bev, the Internet Queen among us, referenced the Beautypedia as she researched products for my Beauty Bag.

I haven’t even begun to try out everything they gave me, but I've worn my new infinity scarf and tried the CoverGirl Professional Remarkable mascara and Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm, and love them all. The lipstick, which came out in 2013, was recommended by Bev’s 21 year-old daughter, so now I feel like I’m keeping up with the younger crowd. And, since the birthday I just celebrated ends in a zero, every little youthful boost helps.

This week, while listening to a two-hour training class, I tried the Suddenly Smooth Intensive Hand Treatment. The treatment consists of a pair of gloves “infused with shea butter, argan oil and rose oil." You leave them on for 20 minutes and voila—smooth, soft hands!  That was a heavenly treat, and I definitely need to stock up so I can use them weekly this winter. Now, if only they made gloves that went all the way to the elbows to combat the leather look of my arms.

Also in the bag were several items from Andree’s Essential Soaps, a company headquartered in Athens, Georgia. Susie, the newest addition to our group, discovered this line. Check out the website for the inspiring story of how they got their start.  Their products were even included in the Gala Gift bags at the Emmy Awards one year. I’m enjoying the French Hand Crème, and I’ve been using the jar of H.E.L.L. Crème on my legs nightly. And, just what does H.E.L.L. stand for? Help Eliminate Lizard Legs.  You gotta love the name!  Perhaps I should try the Lizard Legs Crème on my leather arms, or better yet, I’ll send Andree the idea for a new product.

I have no idea where they came across the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, but I can’t wait to try it. It’s a masque that’s supposed to make my face glow. I’ve also got a cleansing lemon verbena sugar scrub and a moisturizing serum to try.  So many beauty treats, so little time! 

Do I have great girlfriends or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lord Banjo, Puddin', and I take turns writing these blogs, and we'd love to hear from you. Please leave a comment.