Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Packin' and Plannin'

When I started planning my wardrobe for our upcoming cycling vacation, this blog title came to mind, and the tune Wishin' and Hopin’ ran through my head. Funny, how our brains work.  Now, I’m going to start with a sexist comment: I don’t think my male readers will be all that interested in this week’s blog, but hey, you never know.  For as long as I can recall, the wardrobe I take on trips has always been an important and fun part of my planning.  Heck, these days, I even have a bit of fun packing for business trips, since I work at home and don’t often get to dress up.


I made clothing lists for sailing trips in the 70’s and 80’s and then again for the many cycling trips I’ve taken over the years. Perhaps, it’s the limited storage space offered on these trips that first made a list so important.  And, nowadays, with the advent of mostly carry- on bags, list-making has taken on a life of its own.

For cycling trips with a different hotel or B&B each night, dragging my bag down the stairs every morning makes me want to pack a small bag and one that’s light.  You can see how those two requirements always conflict.  If you happen to be taking a cycling trip on a floating hotel like a barge or sailboat, storage space is extremely limited, another reason for minimalist packing.

Of course, minimalist packing for a fashionista is a challenge.  I carefully plan a mix and match wardrobe that gives me fashionable yet practical options.  Space for afternoon and evening attire is limited by the need for six days of cycling clothes, and those items are mandatory—well, they are if you want to ride comfortably.   You’ve got to have cycling shoes, padded shorts or skorts, jerseys, a windbreaker, and a warm layer for the possibility of cold mornings, not to mention a helmet. And, these days, I can’t forget the fashionable red knee brace for my achy knee. Lest you think cycling clothes can’t be fashionable, I must tell you that my husband gave me a new jersey for Christmas, depicting a girl in a red beret cycling in front of the Eiffel Tower.

Once the mandatory items are taken care of, I can turn my attention to the more fun wardrobe.  Here, I apply my project management skills, as do most of my female co-workers.  I type a list with pants and skirts down one side and tops down the other.  Then I can easily see how many outfits I can build with the smallest number of pieces.  Years ago, it was a handwritten list, but there’s always been a list. This year, since we’re traveling with another couple, the list required several consultations with my girlfriend before it was final.

For this ten-day trip, I want most of the tops to go with my black knit skirt and my black jeans, and I’m planning multiple tops for my black capris.  Beyond that, I’ve got to have the requisite pashmina for cool evenings, a jacket that works for walking around Paris and the small French towns we’ll visit, and of course, just the right shoes and jewelry for all of that.

With my husband’s help to roll and fold all this and pack it into vacuum travel bags, I’ll get it all in one expandable carry-on plus a backpack.  It may be all I can do to lift it, but I’ll manage. And, voila, we’ll be off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lord Banjo, Puddin', and I take turns writing these blogs, and we'd love to hear from you. Please leave a comment.