Thursday, October 9, 2014

Yes! Another Vacation


I know, I know, I took a whole week’s vacation just last week. Now that I’ve worked three days in a row, don’t I deserve a few more days off?  Columbus Day is a bank holiday, so I’m adding two days to the upcoming three-day weekend and heading to St. Simons Island off the coast of Georgia, as I do most years.  Just like last year, I’m following a physically active boot camp week in Hilton Head with a more leisurely arts festival outing with my youngest sister.
 

This year, for the first time, my aunt is joining us.  We all three like to walk, so we’ll walk every morning before we start wandering the town and the festival. I don’t usually walk four miles, but my aunt does, so she’ll be sure to get me in gear even if I’m not bicycling or hitting the weight room.  And, I’m sure we’ll end up sitting outside with a Bloody Mary or Mimosa at least one morning after the requisite walk. If I can follow all that with an afternoon nap on the deck, I’ll be a happy girl.
 

We’re also big readers, so we’ll all have our Kindles at the ready, and I’ll bring along a few “real” books, purchased recently at a library sale. The weather forecast is calling for sunny days with highs in the low 80’s, so we’re in luck.  It’s not that we haven’t enjoyed the years with rain, but sunshine is always better.
 

We rent different condos and houses, always near the heart of St. Simons Village.  When it’s just the two of us, options are more limited, as there aren’t many rentals that are small enough and priced right for two. We never fail to walk by a set of condos directly across from the festival location and fantasize about staying there someday. This year, with three of us, we had a few more options, and lo and behold, one of those condos had just come on the rental market when my sister began her search. It’s perfect for three guests, so we snagged it.  I’ve been anticipating this trip ever since I saw the photos and read the description on VRBO: 

This isn't your ordinary 'condo'! The unique design of the exclusive 11 unit complex, of which this condo is only one of 3 on the top floors - affords both privacy and/or connection to the charm of the 'village' - whichever you desire. The large 3rd & 4th floor decks are the perfect spots to capture the ocean breeze, sunbathe, entertain, grill, and enjoy live music from the park or nearby venue - all, while having a birds-eye view of the lighthouse and activities at the ground level.

 

Ah yes. I’m ready to wake up each morning and sip a cup of coffee on the deck. Afternoons, I plan to spend several hours reclining and dozing in a lounge chair on the top deck, getting in a last bit of sun before fall is truly upon us. Then--seriously--no more vacation…that is until I take one more trip Christmas week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lord Banjo, Puddin', and I take turns writing these blogs, and we'd love to hear from you. Please leave a comment.